Those Traveling Coles

Those Traveling Coles
Visiting the coliseum in Verona (The Linguist is taking the photo)

Monday, October 15, 2012

Riding in Ferrara


I took my first bike ride in downtown Ferrara today. In order for you to appreciate the magnitude of this statement, you need a little background information. First, I have ridden a bike once in the last 20 years. Second, my mother taught us to fear 3 things:
1. fire
2. deep water
3. riding our bikes in the road

As a result of this, my riding on the road experience is almost nill and definitely never in a city! I was totally relieved to be called to a mission where sisters did not ride bikes. I do recall being really brave and going to Casey’s store to buy 25 cent candy bars a time or two. (Chocolate is a great motivator!) I also have memories of a couple of rides up the other way. But other than that, I don’t think we rode our bikes in the road. There were plenty of non-road places to ride, so it isn’t like we suffered.

Anyway, when I arrived at Astrid’s house this morning she wasn’t waiting in the parking lot like usual. Instead, she was by her front door. I assumed we were walking (Yikes! I was wearing new shoes…and I hate shoes…let alone new ones). Then she said she thought it might be better to bike since the parking is so difficult downtown. She took one look at my face and said it was okay, we could drive instead. I’m such a pleaser…I just hate to put anyone out or inconvenience them, so I put on my brave face and said, “Sure. We can ride. It’ll be fun.” Smile. Don’t panic…I’m not sure you can fully appreciate my feelings unless you’ve seen how they drive and ride here. Picture a free-for-all in the middle of the road – cars, pedestrians, bikes all going lots of directions at the same time!

So we set off. I had a true Ferrara bike, complete with a cool, woven basket and everything. We began in true Ferrara style, as well…by riding the wrong way up a one-way street. I did actually manage to get on the bike and get it moving forward when Astrid suddenly screeched to a halt and I attempted to do the same. It’s probably good she did because I discovered the pedal-backwards break thing didn’t work on that bike. Hand breaks are good! It was probably better that I didn’t learn that at an intersection! Anyway, we stopped because she thought she saw a policeman (they wear orange vests so you can see them coming, she tells me) and they’ll ticket you for riding the wrong way on the one way (bikes are technically cars in Italy!). Because it’s near the end of the fiscal year, they’re really cracking down on little things like that in order to fill the coffers!

So…I managed to stop and then we walked our bikes to the end of the road and across the street. Rode a little farther and then turned onto a SIDEWALK with people on it! Every time I would get near someone I would get nervous that I was going to hit them and start to wobble. One man was just watching me with big eyes! He probably said a prayer of gratitude after I went by, leaving him unscathed! And I’m sure my face was telling the whole story. I could feel my eyes getting big and that panicked look starting to surface. The last leg of our journey was over the cobblestone road. There was a smooth surface on the right, where Astrid rode, but I could not seem to stay on it! It wasn’t really that narrow, but just the thought of getting up there and falling off the ledge in front of a car made me wobble all over the place!

Then I could hear a car approaching. The cars here weave in and out of the bikes, and I just knew I was going to hit a car if one passed, so I pulled off until they all went by and then continued on my ride. If I’d realized the one right behind me was an American friend, I probably would’ve just ridden down the middle of the road and let her wait!

I told Astrid she’d missed the best part of the ride by riding in front of me. I’m sure it was hilarious to watch the crazy American clutching the handlebars for dear life, eyes wide, wobbling around on a bike in Ferrara (the city of bikes...where 2-year-olds cut their teeth on bikes) when she obviously needed training wheels! At those moments, I always picture Grandma and Dad enjoying my antics…someone should!

The “coffee” I attended was great…lots of pastries, lots of chatting…really nice gals. The woman who hosted it has an amazing house! I love how the houses all look pretty much the same from the outside…little windows with flowers boxes, kind of run down…and then when you open them, they’re full of courtyards with fountains and beautiful gardens. Her home has 3 levels with lots of living space…think the space of House #2 or House #3 with the charm of #1, #3 or #7. I kind of wish Yvonne would show us something like that…although I’m not sure we’d want to be city people anyway. It’s just a different life…

And seriously…can you picture mama duck cruising around Ferrara with 5 ducks behind her? I’d probably have a panic attack! Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Can't you pay someone to install a fountain at your house? If not, you should at least grow geraniums! Sounds like you have met some new friends. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you guys, too...we need to set up a Skype time. Deep Thinker wants to save all of our money while we live in Italy so that we can go visit our U.S. friends. I tried to point out the irony in that, but he doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete